Tuesday, July 28, 2009

please allow me to introduce myself

I am setting out upon this blog for three reasons. First, to write some reviews of some of the discs that I have received- perhaps so that I can remember just exactly what it is that I have seen.  Second, I am interested in learning more about the nuts and bolts about how video is encoded and distributed- and how it will be encoded and distributed (if you are more familiar with something I don't understand, send me a line and let me know what's what) Third, I'd like to make a few passing remarks about some of the contradictions implicit in things related to "rock and roll."
the worlds first photographic image : courtesy of Wikipedia
The average bootleg trader has some particular musical group for whom they are a greatest fan.  By greatest, I mean: someone who possesses every single legitimate release, knows the words to every song, goes to as many concerts as they can, has all the t shirts and memorabilia, is a member of the audience regardless of failures and successes.  I'm going to write a little bit more about this relationship in the course of the blog, because it pretty much characterized the last half of the twentieth century. Finding the New Perspective that one can put this into is the challenge of Today. While there are a few bands that I am a pretty good encyclopedia for, there will always be someone on the internet who knows more about some artist than I do.  If I've written something wrongheaded and you're out there reading this: speak up.  For every artist that I mention, I will try to provide a link to someone who is more well-versed in their unofficial documents than I am...I'd even welcome the contributions of others, if you've written about some video and you want me to post it, I'd be happy to give it am airing here

As far as illegal things go...as far as computer files being illegal goes...I'd like to figure that out as well, everyone would, as it's all changing so fast...Here's a shout out to folks that are trying to move with the technology: www.moshcam.com is rather new but seems pretty promising- www.punkcast.com was the trailblazer, and lately seems to refocusing their efforts away from music and more towards freedom of expression efforts...which, quite possibly, is more rock and roll than traditional rock and roll in these strange future days...

1 comment:

  1. 'Have now read more than half the reviews---like your writing-voice and insight into performers and especially the socio-political/art-critical angle you go at the whole phenomena(now morphed into some other beast than the 4+ decade version from Elvis to torrents)of pop-rock; 'like the acts you cover, et cetera(have "legit" weather report concert, acdc-let there be rock, doors live in europe/h-wood bowl, jethro tull at isle of wight, and one title, p-funk houston, you cover, so, I have concerts to view/hear, I'm not too foreign to the form)...thanx hugely for establishing an angle by which to regard this music(I used to read rolling stone a long time ago, then urb for a minute, but gave up on music-journalism for the most part)...you are an alive-source of information....
    -Gil Wirt

    ReplyDelete